sábado, 8 de novembro de 2008

End-of-year presentations....



I'm not a normal mother, a normal parent, a normal human-being. I simply abominate end-of-year presentations of elementary schools or even kindergarten. Of course I get touched when I see my girl dancing and so on, but I think the whole event is boring, too loud, too senseless. It is not comprehensible (at least to me) why parents (99% of the time, mothers) scream when they see the kids step on the stage.

Last night there were 15 presentations.... when the 1st one ended I found myself thinking: "calm down, there are only 14 left". By # 7 or 8 a weird thought came to my mind: "a passagem do tempo é inexorável, portanto, isso logo vai acabar".

Then, I realized this is Stella´s last year at junior high, consequently my last year to attend those events.... BUUUUUT I have 2 more kids. Meaning? Another 10-11 years of surviving to such 2-3 hours of pure torture. No wonder dads in general don't go, it's implicit that mothers are the ones to suffer, as from the day they know they are pregnant. Looking at the crowd, I couldn't find many dads, or at least happy dads. The night before, reverhal time, while I was waiting for my girl to get off, there were many dads running around, rushing kids (it was 10pm)... and I just couldn't realize why. Then, I heard one say: "hurry up fulaninho, the game has already started." OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH see? Someone reasonable... Internacional was playing, why do they have to reherse so late at night right when there is a very important soccer game going on? A smile came to my face... if schools were run by dads, maybe the world would be different and end-of-year presentations would be O-V-E-R.

Maybe I am too pessimistic, maybe I am taking it too seriously. What I see in those events are awful songs, kids dancing when they don't have the right physical response for their ages, pre-teens dancing hip-hops, horrible hot costumes for this time of the year, and the worst: what is the purpose? do they know the purpose? Is it to please someone? who? Is it to show they can do it? Do what? Is it supposed to be entertainment? They've got to be kidding.

Venting about a subject that has always bothered me as a mother, and I don't mind being the only one that does not enjoy shows like that. All I wanted was to leave the gymnasium and GO HOME. Be in silence. Be in peace. Feeling comfortable.

PS: "Backyardigans" picture is to ilustrate my viewpoint. First time I watched that show I thought how it would feel to spray some SBP or Raider on them. It is all right if you all hate me. But you got to agree that that cartoon is stupid.

3 comentários:

Marcos Sanches disse...

Eu ainda não tive o prazer (ou desprazer) de ir nesse tipo de evento, mas eu sempre tento me livrar ao máximo dessas coisas que para mim são regras sociais. A gente faz porque todo mundo faz mas não há uma importância real... Bom, achei seu texto engraçado!

Abraços

Marcos

Alison G. Altmayer disse...

Marcos,

obrigada! Eu gostaria de poder evitar esse tipo de evento, mas seria muito ruim para meus filhos. Enfim, agora só no ano que vem!!!

Abraço e bons treinos!

Boni- Tonio Altmayer disse...

DearMs Harkins,
Mr.Sanches is right, your text is really funny and serious at the same time.
Good question: what´s the point for these kind of presentations when the kids don´t decide what they want to do or if they want to do it?
My master tells me that the few times he went to these kind of thing it was a pain in the...you know what.
Sincerely yours,
Boni the rat.

Semana de 20 a 26 de março de 2023

  Esta semana foi cheia de exames: cardiológicos, de sangue, teste de esteira. Encaixei a academia e os treinos e deu tudo certo no final.  ...